Divorce in Virginia

Can you file for divorce without a lawyer?

There are two types of divorce in Virginia: “Fault” and “No-fault” 

It’s harder to get a “fault-based” divorce, since the fault grounds are very limited, have to be proved, and will usually be contested by your spouse.

On the other hand, to get a “no-fault” divorce in Virginia, you only need to prove:

  • that you’ve been separated for at least a year, or
  • if you and your spouse don’t have any minor children together AND you’ve both signed a Separation Agreement – that you’ve been separated for at least 6 months.

Yes. We can help.

Court procedures in the Circuit Court are complicated - even in no fault divorces - so most people hire attorneys to assist them.

However, in certain situations, you may be able to file for a divorce successfully on your own - without an attorney representing you. This is particularly important for folks with low incomes, who really can’t afford to hire an attorney.

We have designed an online interview to see if your circumstances might be appropriate for filing for a divorce without an attorney.

Get Started

You can read more about the interview and find other resources on divorce below. You may also want to call your local legal aid office to see if you qualify for free legal help.

How does the interview work?

First, we will ask you a few questions to see if your circumstances are appropriate for filing for a divorce without an attorney. If your situation is appropriate, the interview tool will also gather the necessary information to allow you to print the court pleadings and forms you’ll need to file for a no-fault divorce on your own

Go to the Do-It-Yourself Divorce Worksheet

Do-It-Yourself Divorce Instructions

This Do-It-Yourself Divorce Packet was created by Virginia Poverty Law Center.

The packet has a sample cover letters for waiving or requesting service.

The packet can also help you answer the following questions:

  • What forms do I need?
  • What is the Complaint?
  • How do I serve my spouse with divorce papers?
  • How do I change my name back to my maiden name?
  • How do I waive the filing fee?

Go to the Do-It-Yourself Divorce Packet

We want your feedback on the No Fault Divorce Interactive Program

Take Our Survey

Back to top