Refine Your Search:

Filter By:



Know Your Rights

  • How to File a Complaint

    The Civil Rights Division enforces civil rights laws in a wide variety of contexts. You may use the information on this page to find the appropriate way to submit a complaint or report of a potential civil rights violation. If you are not sure which Section is the appropriate one to receive your complaint, you may contact the Civil Rights Division at (888) 736-5551 or (202) 514-3847. Content Detail

    United States Department of Justice
  • Know Your Rights as an Immigrant

    This packet provides an overview of the rights an immigrant (whether here legally or not) or even a citizen may exercise if confronted by an immigration official. Content Detail

    Immigrant Legal Resource Center
  • Know Your Rights: Limited English Proficiency

    Do you have trouble with English? Are you unable to speak, read, write, or understand English well? If so, you are Limited English Proficient (LEP). Federal agencies and organizations that get money from the federal government have to take reasonable steps to help people who have trouble with English. Sometimes, when a government agency or an organization does not help you because you are LEP, they violate the law. This is called National Origin Discrimination. Content Detail

    United States Department of Justice
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Glossary

    Immigration law has a number of highly technical terms that may not mean the same thing to the average reader. provides a glossary of immigration terms and acronyms. Content Detail

    U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services